Thursday, February 5, 2009

Another UFO bites the dust!

Drum roll...














I'm not kidding, this one was started 12 years ago in a workshop with Ami Simms, Introduction to String Quilts.
There were a couple of things I didn't understand when I started this quilt such as...all those darling strings are going
to be on the BIAS. It isn't smart to piece black fabric with WHITE THREAD. And it doesn't work to use white poly
batting (still popular in those days) with black fabric. Oh my. I finally figured out that it would be best to use
a black batting, got most of the black blocks hand quilted, and then...I lost the stencil for the corner triangles, with only two
of them quilted. That was when the poor thing got shoved into a basket somewhere. I never wanted to see it again.

However...since I am working very hard on finishing all my UFO's, I finally decided to take it out (12 years later) and see what could
be done for it. Ripped out the quilting on the two corner triangles, finished quilting them by machine. And got up the guts to quilt
all of the colored strings. You know, I was really afraid that it would take forever to do each one of them. But I kept looking
through Gwen Marston's books, and she really does quilt every string, so I decided I would give it a whirl. And it only took
two weeks!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Miri said...

Great Quilt! I like the Cakestand too-I always keep a quilt on the sofa.