Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Trials of Menucha

On our way to yet another interview for high school, we stopped by a beautiful garden to take a deep breath and calm our jangled nerves. There were several interviews today. Menucha was a star and aced them all. Her beautiful personality shines right through.
But all these interviews sure are nerve-wracking.

The last interview was held in a school right near the String Bridge that graces the entrance to Jerusalem.
The view from one of the windows of the school:


The base of the bridge was made for the [still far from complete] Light Rail train to turn on. You can see the curve in the picture below. It's hard to see in the picture, but the lower greenish area of the base is actually made of a transparent Plexiglass-like material, and it is for pedestrians to walk on. So they are actually walking around the same curve as the train will one day make.

I know I have expressed this feeling before, but I have to say it again: I love living in a city that is such a combination of ancient and modern. There is nothing quite like it in the world. And if you ever have the chance to visit Israel, please don't hesitate to call me. You will be more than welcome to stay in my little house on the mountain!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

momtofatdogs said...

How come you have to "interview" for school? Are the schools "private" (pay to go) or "public"? Just curious. I would have loved to send my children to "private" school, but AT THE TIME that it mattered most...we simply didn't make enough money to send them to private school. Private schools (I'm sure you're aware) in the US are normally faith based, small classes, and more individual attention....that is one major reason WHY I left CA. I lived in Orange County & where I lived & could AFFORD to live, the schools were 80% or better non-english speaking....never understood that....but I attended public school in Santa Ana & I did not learn to read until i was 13. Yes, 13! Hard to think of that - but the focus was teaching non-english speaking kids to speak english , not the other way around. 'Course I overcame not being able to read! And I moved to TN & my kids went to small schools and graduated high in their classes,AND went to college...but it was all public school.......not private. Good uck , I hope she gets to go where she wants too. When they are where they want to be, they like learning a whole lot more!!

Sam