Monday, November 14, 2011

What I'm NOT Working On

Mom and Dad arrived from Florida last week. We have been having a wonderful time with them. They live in one of the Century Village retirement communities, and really miss being with family. They have enjoyed spending time here with their grandchildren and great-grandchildren, some of whom were born since the last time they visited. Yesterday we went out for bagels with two of my cousin's daughters-in-law and their children. We could only get one of the six kids to agree to be in a picture.  The rest of them (all boys) were happily running around the shopping center together.  Mom is on the left, my daughter Menucha on the right (isn't she looking grown up?!).  Didn't manage to get a picture of Dad at all. Hopefully next time.

 Tried to do a little cleaning up before Mom's arrival.  Of course there is no way I will ever get my house clean enough, although she is tactful enough not to say anything.  Came upon a couple of charm packs of Barbara Brackman fabric from the Civil War Anthem line.  Even though I have plenty of projects already started, I figured what's the harm in starting just one more.  I love Tumbler quilts, there's a kind of instant gratification about them.  So I cut some blocks and started to arrange them.  A dark and light layout seems so natural to these fabrics.  It's good to take a picture as you lay out your blocks--now I can see that there are two blocks almost the same right near each other and I can move one of them to somewhere else. There were not very many lights in these charm packs, so I'll add some in from my stash and hope it will come out big enough for a nice autumn-y table runner.  Actually, I'm so busy looking after my folks, the table runner will probably be done for next autumn.
 Mom brought me some fabric I must have ordered months ago and had forgotten about completely.  There were two jelly rolls of April Cornell's Prayer Flag, a very earthy line I fell in love with at first sight.  Really reminds me of those wonderful Indian cotton bedspreads from the 60s.  I opened one of the jelly rolls up right away and managed to get a couple of blocks pieced.  This is the Past and Present block from Scrap Basket Surprises.  Believe it or not, I have in mind to make this quilt for myself.  I've made quilts for almost everyone in the family, and more than one for some of them, but never made myself a quilt, just for me. So here goes.
To those people who have commented lately on my blog, or sent me nice e-mails, thanks for all your kind words.  I hope I'll be able to get back to you when Mom and Dad are settled in a bit better and I'm not so busy with them. In the meantime, please know that I love to hear from you.  On days when I feel OVERWHELMED by life, you help me get through and you bring my smile back.  I am so grateful.

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

How wonderful to visit with your mom and dad. And can we ever have too many projects started? Knowing that there is something I haven't finished keeps me from sleeping too much! :)

Carolyn said...

How nice to have your parents visiting!! I hope you have a wonderful time with them!

Anonymous said...

wow menucha looks gr8t