Thursday, December 4, 2014

It's December?

A little hard to believe--November just flew by. I was in Pennsylvania and then in Florida, and it already feels like a lifetime ago. But I did have fun!
Spent two great weeks with my daughter and her family, enjoying them all and exploring Pittsburgh. They moved there from Houston in August and already they know lots of fun places to go to. The zoo...
The Waterfront Mall...
A great frozen yogurt place...(Here's my daughter, Hannah. She can't believe she ate that much frozen yogurt!)
My oldest granddaughter, Rivky:
I got to pick the kids up at school every day. The school receptionist sits at a desk at the entrance to the school. The first time I went in to get the kids, I was struck speechless--three gorgeous quilts on the wall right over her desk!
Gorgeous Kaffe Fassett fabrics...
Beautiful work...
Appliqued Hebrew lettering...
When I asked the receptionist WHO made these beautiful quilts, she said, "WHAT quilts?" I almost fell on the floor. She sits under these every single day, and she doesn't even see them! I guess maybe only a quilter would notice. (sigh)
The funny thing is, I went to check out an assisted living for my parents around the corner from the school, and on the wall they had some quilts from the same artist (didn't get a chance to take pictures of those). The manager who was showing me around the place had never noticed those quilts either!

Speaking of quilts, I finally finished a baby quilt for Great-granddaughter #1, who was born in August. Didn't have the right batting for it, so it waited until I got some when I was in the States. Sandy Gervais' "Objects of Desire" on the front...
Pretty fabric on the back...

This was made from a honeybun--precut 1 1/2" strips. I used the Jellyroll Race technique to make it, and it came out a bit warped, so I ended up cutting off the warped parts and using them for a piano keys border. I think it came out very cute!
Brought along some small hand-quilting projects when I went to the States. It's good to have something to work on while waiting in the airport or even while on the plane. Not only that, I was seriously jet-lagged the whole time I was there and it was a good thing I had something to do while I was awake in the night and the rest of the family was sleeping. Finished this:
And this:
           
Saw one like this on Lori's blog, Humble Quilts, which I have to say is just about my favorite blog. Lori does such beautiful work and her quilt-alongs are great fun. This little quilt is in wonderful fall colors, which made me so happy--I got to Pittsburgh just as autumn was at its peak, and I got to see the trees in all of their colorful glory. Hadn't gotten to see that in many years, as in Israel we only have 3 seasons and autumn isn't one of them. As a native New Englander I really miss the turning of the leaves. So it was great to get to see them. I have some beautiful pictures of the trees in Pittsburgh, which I hope to post, if I can figure out how to get them from my phone to the blog. 
Oh yes, one more little thing to share with you. Thanksgiving was a quiet day for us, as we don't celebrate the holiday here in Israel. Thursday night found me playing around with scraps, and look at this adorable little ornament I made. Found an easy tutorial for it on a blog (I forget which one) and it only took around an hour, start to finish. Sorry for the bad cellphone picture. But isn't this the cutest? 

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Nice travel report, Susan! Lovely family photos! So, what was the name of the quilt artist with the quilts in the school and the assisted living?

Quilting Corner said...

Great pictures. It was terrific to catch up on your travels. I hope you will see the family again soon. So happy you are back with us now.

Roxanne said...

Sounds like you had great fun on your visit. Beautiful family. Love those quilts.!