Friday, May 22, 2009

Ready for the Oven!

Every Friday we bake the traditional Sabbath loaves. Usually mine are bigger than these because we generally have company over for the meals. But this week it's just the three of us, so we have four little Challah breads. Since I like round loaves, but braids are traditional, I have made some of both.
Since I like things a bit exotic, today I am making the challahs with a recipe for a Moroccan bread called Khobz. Do NOT ask me how that is pronounced. It is a fragrant, warm-flavored bread. I just use my normal whole wheat bread recipe, and add in (for 3 1/2-4 cups flour) 1 tablespoon of anise seed (fennel), and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds. The bread is a bit sweet; I put in between 1/3-1/2 cup Domino's Brownulated brown sugar. I love that Domino's Brownulated Sugar, because it mixes in with the other ingredients so easily. We can't get it here, so my husband brings it with him from the States.
Try this, if you are looking for a new and interesting flavor for your bread. I think you will like it!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: