Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Quiet Day at Home

We had a lot of company over the last couple of days. My parents, children, grandchildren, and even some great-grandchildren were here. So today is a try-to-get-the-house-back-to-normal day!  Part of the day was spent cleaning and part of the day was spent ripping some unfortunate quilting stitches that are taking me forever to pull out. But luckily I wasn't lonely. The most darling bird came and perched next to my window and kept me company.  Too bad I didn't get his picture, but I was afraid that if I ran for the camera it would frighten him away. So I just sat quietly nearby and listened to his amazing whistle.
Here's a picture I found online of the Tristram's Starling:
He has such beautiful feathers on the underside of his wings. When he spreads his wings it looks like they are completely orange.
And his call is amazing. I tried to find a good recording of it online, but couldn't find a single one as nice as his call was in person.
Here's a little video of one I found on Youtube. I tried to "embed" it, but alas I'm the only one left in the world who doesn't know hot to do that. So all I can give you is a link to the Youtube video of this cute little bird. Sorry.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7reoNi53cw&feature=em-share_video_user
(If you know how to put a Youtube video onto a blog post in Blogger, can you please tell me how to do it?)

The Tristram's Starling is a desert native. This one probably came up from the Judean Desert, just east of us, where they live. They can even be found in the most unlikely places, like on top of Masada.

Goodbye, little friend! Thanks for the visit!                                            

2 comments:

Quilting Corner said...

Lovely and relaxing to watch. Thanks for posting.

Roxanne said...

What a sweet little bird. The following link will take you to the directions on how to embed a YouTube video. http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=80767