Friday, January 16, 2009


Being a natural stopping point between Europe and Africa, Israel is a major migration center for birds. Entire areas of the country, such as the Hula Valley, have been developed by the Israelis to attract and provide for tens of thousands of migrating birds. They come through every year, escaping the cold in Europe and Scandinavia, and going to Africa where it is summer. Yesterday and the day before, I had a little migrating visitor on my porch:

This is actually a type of robin. Not the kind we were familiar with in North America, but still with the patch of orangey-red on his breast. Isn't he just darling? He was on my porch both yesterday and the day before. I hope he comes back again. I have set out some water and food for him. We'll see if he shows up...

1 comment:

~Phyllis~ said...

Oh he is such a cute little bird. Hope he returns