Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Change of Plans

You know the old expression, "Man plans, God laughs"? Well, I made my plans, but God had his own plan in mind. Yesterday I was supposed to be a on plane to Houston, Texas. But last Friday morning, my husband fell and hit his head HARD. He was rushed to the ER, where a CT scan showed cerebral hemorrhage and contusion. So guess where we have been since then? In the Neurosurgery ICU of Hadassah Hospital, right here in Jerusalem.  I spend all day at the hospital, getting there via 3 buses and a light rail train. Across from the train station there is an amazing sculpture. I don't know what it's called. I like how the green hills in the distance can be seen through the arches of the sculpture.
My husband was moved to the regular Neurosurgery ward a couple of days ago. He is doing better, and they say they are discharging him today. Even though that's a good sign, it will still take some time for him to recover. We already have a lot of doctors' visits scheduled for today and next week, plus physical therapy and bloodwork every couple of days.
I'm sad that I'm not in Houston. I miss my daughter and son-in-law and my grandchildren. I'm sorry not to be able to attend Festival. I'm sorry my husband has had such a traumatic injury. But I know that there is a greater Plan at work here, and I accept that with a belief that everything is for the best.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Christine @ sew bossi said...

Though still nerve racking, I am glad that your husband is getting better. My thoughts are with you.

Quilting Corner said...

So sad that you both are going through this difficult time together. It is a relief to hear he can go home where he can get that extra TLC from you and family. Hang in there. Our prayers are with you.

Debbie said...

Refuah Shlema! Sorry you don't get to go to Houston. That's a very good photo of that sculpture, Susan. We see it all the time and I don't even notice anymore that it's there! When they were rebuilding and relandscaping the area during the years of building the light rail, they moved the sculpture to an empty lot near Shaare Tzedek hospital. For many, many years it was a dingy, rusty looking thing. When they moved it back, they repainted it this bright red. It does look nice!

The only thing I could find in Wikipedia was in Hebrew.

Debbie said...

I had a link in the last comment, don't know why it didn't come out. Trying again: http://www.jerusalemfoundation.org/news_article.aspx?MID=547&CID=558&AID=738&ID=2116

Sara Fiedler said...

Susan, I'm so happy to your husband is mending and getting out of the hospital. Home cooked food does wonders for healing. Refuah shelaima.
Maybe you'll come to the chug on Monday?

Roxanne said...

Life is an adventure. Praying for a speedy recovery for your husband.

Quiltn Mama said...

Sending him prayers for a speedy recovery from Texas.

esty said...

glad to hear your husband is doing better. we all wish him a refuah shelaymah. I think the sculpture has something to do with Yad Vashem.
Love Renee